OMINDE’S LIST: Kisumu’s Top Ten Badass Clubs!!
I remember about six years ago I would come down to Kisumu in December from Nairobi just before Christmas and the party scene in this town was very dull. There was just one club in town and that was Mon~Ami. Ofcos there was Octopus too but we all know why I am ignoring it…and I hear Tamiez used to rock too but in my circle of friends then it was not on our radar too but it sure was nice from what I hear. So we ended up doing Mon ~ Ami every other weekend.
Today the scene has changed in a major way and every single day a new club is coming into town…if you are coming down from Nairobi you sure need a guide so I am going to volunteer one. I would have loved to have CLUB DA PLACE in this list but the location is way out of town but if it made it it would sure be in my top five. MASHUA LOUNGE also doesn’t make it for some reason but you can check it out…especially the live bands on Friday and Saturday – I am not sure if the Acoustic Six String’d band still plays there though – last time they had a few teething problems.
Allow me to ignore Area 51, Stanbradox, Barizi, Octopus and RAM XB okay RAM XB is a nice joint with the extended bar and the owner is a good pal but allow me to ignore them.
10. H – CLUB Located a little outside the CBD just next to her sister Havanas where Benga Music lives. This club has a great potential but it’s location is its undoing. Plus they need to stop trying to make it like Havanas – we already know they are sisters and what was the point of starting a new club if you were going to make it look like the other one, they could have as well just expanded Havanas. Awesome ambience though and great music at times.
9. FARENHEIT Came in with a lot of pomp and good music but things seem to be quieting down. I gues the Angel Amake magic in hype dint last that long after he left this town for the greener Nairobi. The location is also its worst undoing and I hear they have management issues. Could do better though…they got a neighbor actually who is doing well so location is not all!!
8. CLUB CINAMON or should I say QUORUM? Nothing has really changed if not for the management and ownership. The Djs and interior decor is still the same. Not that the decor is bad but we expected real changes – something that doesnt remind us of old Quorum? An average club though and the location is very convenient. The manager is a nice chap, will talk to his clients to get their views especially on slow week days. I was last there on Tuesday last week and we had a chat over some toots of Viceroy.
7. CAFE OLE Located at the United Mall, the club came in with new swag. The interior decor was some fresh air in this town. They had one of the best Djs in town…doesn’t make it to top five coz their current Dj is not all that plus the place is rather tiny. I hear they are opening a new joint around Signature so maybe next time they’ll score a beter ranking.
6. BOOTLEGGERS Now this is one of the latest changes in town. Owned by the same guys who own KnK and the decor is awesome. They have great theme nights and Kenna Kens seems to be working some magic with them. Watch out for them coz they only don’t make it to top five coz they are located at Mega City way out of the CBD and their small space. They got Dj Blaqice one of Kisumu’s very best Djs so look out for them I repeat.
5. BARCADIA LOUNGE Finally brings us to the big five. Was once the best joint in town then came down to second best but since they lost Dj Slim they have been struggling to command that respect with the Djs they bring in. Still the place to end your nights any day. It’s still Kisumu’s young professionals’ club of choice probably because of its suitable location and the fact that everybody who hangs out there know each other. The club consists of two floors with the Dj at the top floor but the party actually happens on the bottom floor – that is where Kisumu’s “who is who” meet.
4. CLUB WHISTLES makes it to number 4 because of their Dj…Dj Pscratch. This boy is nothing but magic on the decks. Was a top contender for best Dj in Kisumu’s vybz awards. He also drove other Djs crazy at the East Africa Pioneer Dj convention with magic moves. Located just next to Barcadia and tonight they take positions next to each other on my list as well. Lovely interior decor as well.
3. LATITUDE LOUNGE Comes in at number three. This club is probably the reason some guys thought I would not be objective but here I am proving y’all wrong. Three floors painted with the bold Black and Red which is the signature decor in all Latitude Lounges (in Nairobi) and the Flat Screen mounted on the floors. This club would do better though with their theme nights. Also known as the only club in town that regularly brings top Nairobi Djs to thrill their fans – am talking Gmoney of Homeboyz Radio and Dj Nijo. The club has also seen a high turn over of Djs but they are currently settling down with the new sensation Dj Pritt who will sure give the likes of Dj Pscratch and Dj Slim a run for their money. Latitude could work on the steep stairs as well. Located Opposite Electricity House.
2. CLUB SAMBA This is the newest kid in the block just a few weeks old and it’s already creating a ripple in Kisumu’s entertainment circles. It’s the club that other club owners are talking about in hush tones and taking people back to the drawing board. Located near Signature in downtown Kisumu and is very spacious with lovely service and great Music from Dj Solly and Dj Basil both formerly of Latitude Lounge. Dj Solly is however known to like new clubs but he never really stays long enough…let’s see how long he’ll last there.
1. Ladies and gentlemen let’s put our hands together for SIGNATURE, ultimate club in Kisumu town. Located in downtown Kisumu on 4th floor of some building I don’t know it’s name – everyone in Kisumu knows Signature you don’t have to know the name of the building. Then they don’t have you taking stairs when you are drunk they got a lift!! The interior is awesome and spacious then to crown it all they have Kisumu’s best Dj – Vj Slim who plays alongside another incredible Dj Tibs. This is the only club you will enjoy partying at from Monday to Monday.
Signature have the biggest Karaoeke in town on Tuesdays, Rhumba with Dj Marto Sibuor on Wednesday and Campus Night with Vj Slim and Dj Tibs on Thursdays. Their service is a little slow though but that could be attributed to the huge clientele and not enough service team.
So there we go…but before signing out allow me to tell you about another big event happening in town, I am talking about the I AM AFRICA LIVE CONCERT going down on 21st Dec at Sunset Hotel Gardens from 2.00 PM. This will be a garden concert (something like Blankets and Wine) featuring East African Jazz Maestro Eddie Grey, Hey Z and Kisumu’s acoustic guitar King Xoul Afrique aka Brayo and ohanglaman Charlie wuod Awendo. Promises to be an awesome party with advance tickets going for Ksh. 500 from www.ticketsasa.com and at Moscom Cyber Cafe in town. tickest go for Ksh. 700 at the gate. The concert is sponsored by 1Music and Untamed Entertainment among others.