OMINDE’S LIST: Kisumu’s Top 5 Badass clubs – Summer bunnies edition 2014
They say December is the Friday of the year, just that this Friday lasts for 31 straight days and you will be forgiven for partying all through, especially if you have a job like mine where everyday is a party. Anyway, I do not intend to bore you with tales of how interesting my job is.
One thing that is definitely not interesting like my job is definitely the “summer bunnies’ visit to the city. Here I am not talking about the dudes and dudettes from the diaspora but everybody else whose last name is Ominde or Wambura and they come down every December from Nairobi and Mombasa to have a piece of the Kisumu fun.
Now I am not trying to say I have a boring family, my brothers and cousins are the most fun people in the planet, I just hate the idea of being the guy to always show these ninjas around whenever they come to town.
So here I am making a list of the top 5 clubs you need to visit while in Kisumu hoping that they (na wengine kama wao) will use it as a party guide.
Before I jump into my list allow me to mention Suzanne Owiyo Cultural Centre in Riat Hills as one of those places you cannot afford to miss going to while in Kisumu. The trick however is you have to have your crew and talk nicely to Evans Wayiera but the view from up there is breathtaking. I will not mention Dunga Hill Camp, wait I just did….Lets go straight to my list.
READ: KISUMU’S TOP 10 BADASS CLUBS 2013
5. Club Whistles The only reason you need to check out this club is because they have Kisumu’s biggest Deejay – Dj PScratch, everything else is average. It’s located next to Guardian Bus Booking offices. If you flew to Kisumu ask a friend where that is but if you came by bus you sure know where it is.
4. Samba Marina This is the joint for all the rhumba heads. Banging piped rhumba every single day of the week. Dj Bazil & Dj Rough Idea hold it down here every weekend when they break off from Rhumba and play Club Music. Samba is located in downtown Kisumu near Signature – You have to know where Signature is.
3. This was a tough spot to decide because it definitely determines who sits at number two and after so much debate in my head I settle for Buccaneers. It definitely is one of the biggest clubs in the region, they play great music from top notch Dj Moz and Dj Herbo. Located in downtown like other Kisumu clubs just 500 meters away from Signature and on top of Club Kamikaze.
Buccaneers hosts strippers on Thursdays and if you like to please your eyes once in a while then you gotta check it out.
It however doesn’t find itself on the top spot on my list because I think they have very poor crowd control. They might have improved but I wouldn’t know since I haven’t been there since Dala 7s when it was violence all over and a friend of mine was caught by “a stray bottle.”
2. Bacardia Lounge These ninjas just refuse to get off the game. They were the first ever club in the CBD and are keeping it steady but moving forward. Strategically located in the CBD near Guardian Bus Booking Office (neighbors with Whistle), the two floors clubs provides what I call intimate entertainment.
If you want to party with Kisumu’s movers & shakers then this is definitely the joint. Everybody knows everybody here and this is where all the grown and sexy hang out. Their bouncers are under worked because there is never an incident here.
On Wednesday’s Kisumu’s veterans Dj Ed OG, Dj Slim & Henry McKenzie do their thing…a session you do not want to miss.
The Manager Bob is just the guy!!
1. For the third time in a row Club Signature Kisumu is still at the helm. Amazing theme nights all week long starting Tuesdays with Karaoke hosted by Dj Slim and Henry McKenzie. Wednesdays it’s Kisumu’s biggest Rhumba, when Dj Marto Sibuor is in the house then Kisumu comes to a stand still.
Weekend parties with Dj Tibz are just out of this world….it gets pretty packed too but they got good crowd control.
If you are looking for the ultimate Kisumu party experience then sample Signature.
There you have it guys, again these are my opinions and if you do not agree with them then make your own list. If you own a club and feel unfairly ranked please wait till Easter 2015 I will do another review but please do not call me to complain.
I hear Kenzo Matata will be in town this December for a gig at Parkview Hotel in Milimani. Check out the poster bellow for details.
In the meantime Latitude Lounge Buruburu will be celebrating its 5th Anniversay on 13th Dec 2014, 5 years of entertaining the people of Buruburu with performances by Homeboyz Radio’s GMoney, Dj Subzeero, Dj Hussein and Daddy Family Entertainment on the decks. Nick Odhiambo of Classic 105 will be the MC. Lots of prizes to be given away all night. Latitude Group clossed it’s Kisumu Club earlier this year.
Latitude Lounge is located at Buruburu Shopping Complex (Ph. 2) behind Barclays Bank.
Follow me on Twitter @IamOminde