Rough sex VS sexual abuse – my two cents on the #Mollis audio tape

Let’s face it, there is nothing funny about sexual abuse – I should end this post at this point but allow me to explain myself just a little bit.

I was scrolling through my Twitter timeline on Wednesday evening when I came across this trending topic “Mollis”….I did not understand what it was about but I could gather it was about a sex tape of some sorts – I did not clearly understand of what sort till today when I decided to look for the said audio tape after I saw a female friend post something about it on Facebook.

That was the longest 3 minutes and 8 seconds of my life…and I f I was just listening to the audio and feeling that bad I wonder how the woman in the clip was feeling.

I am really angry that nobody is actually seeing this as sexual abuse – I get it, the whole thing might have started as a consensual encounter but If I heard right the lady in the clip did say STOP – not once, not twice – in fact at  some point her saying “Mollis (Maurice) Stop, I sulender (I surrender)” almost becomes like a song in the entire clip.

A few weeks a go we were furious when a foreigner sexually abused a young Kenyan girl before choking her to death and I cant help but wonder what a hypocritical society we have become when the same people decide to use the same medium to celebrate a rapist.

I raised this point on Facebook and this is what a female friend said:

” We sometimes say gerrarahia when we mean don’t dare move! Rape? She’d be crying and screaming, being gagged, slapped to calm down etc. She’s enjoying it thoroughly! My take”

I still can not wrap my head around that comment – not sure whether it’s because it’s coming from another woman or just because it is just “unfortunate.”

Does a woman have the right to say STOP in the middle of sex?

When a woman says STOP does it mean “I am having fun continue?”

When does consensual sex turn into rape?

What if this degenerated to a situation where the woman died – we all know the other video I mentioned earlier probably just started this way and an idiot could not stop at some point and ended up taking the whole thing completely out of hand and it’s stopped being fun anymore.

If you read a tweet from me yesterday evening, I asked why Durex (which is known for jumping on crazy TTs) had not jumped onto this one yet – I realize I got my answer, there was nothing funny about this sad scenario.

But the likes of Zuku thought otherwise – my stomach turned when I saw this:

Zuku meme out of the Mollis Audio
Zuku meme out of the Mollis Audio

To the mediocre mind ( and let’s face is most of us are mediocre), “Mollis” is some form of a “bedroom king”…we will be celebrating his prowess for a few more days to come.

Follow me on Twitter @IamOminde

25 Comments

• Nyakach Denis Reply

August 6, 2015 at 10:45 am

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse. Even more, sometimes a lady would say “Am tired”, and if she says so, please f****in STOP. The story goes, that such a lady would even die.

#mytake

• Greg Reply

August 7, 2015 at 11:26 am

Good sex makes women hysterical. I hope you are using other facts to judge its rape and not the hysteria

• Rayhab Gachango (@potentash) Reply

August 6, 2015 at 11:05 am

She clearly says something about rape at the beginning. Something like Morris unanirape. I cant believe that people found this funny. She told him to stop and he refused many times. That is rape.

• Ominde Reply

August 6, 2015 at 11:57 am

I listened again and I clearly hear her say “unanirape sahii.” Thanks for pointing that out.

• Beth Reply

August 6, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Yes she did and what broke my heart was his response “hapana wacha ujinga”. It’s just sick.

• KaziSasa Reply

August 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Another bullshit article from feminists… You now want to start analyisng sex sounds?

• Ominde Reply

August 6, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Well, call me what you may but that doesn’t change the truth

• Cray Reply

August 6, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Well, I don’t think it’s rape simply because she would be screaming and crying. In fact, she would be hysterical.

• kimemiamaina Reply

August 6, 2015 at 4:53 pm

For me even if by some highly unlikely circumstance all this Mollis business was cinsensual, the audio recording is invaaion if privacy.

• natalie Reply

August 6, 2015 at 5:57 pm

I don’t find it funny,rather nauseating. the first time i heard it ,the first thing that popped into mind was, rape.the lady clearly wants him to stop!the guy takes it too far,it’s not right.

• Tina Reply

August 6, 2015 at 8:01 pm

A woman I know once told me she gave in to sex she dint want to have because she was alone with a drunk exe who was huge and capable of being violent,to avoid being beat up and the sex becoming out of control rough and violent she said yes. There is so much misogyny in the world that women have internalized it much the same way black people have internalized racism and white supremacy and will think nothing of a white man or muhindi lording it over a nywele ngumu. May God deliver us from this sickness.

• Daktari Reply

August 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Listening to the conversation without really factoring in the fact it’s sex and very hardcore. These guys seem to fuck often enough, and she seems drunk… I don’t know whether I surrender is like ‘you are killing me’ that is, the sex is good or stop which actually, wow means STOP!
    Kama ni rape, we have Nairobi Women’s and police. Otherwise, we might just be here worried about drunk people getting fucked, by their obvious fuck buddy.
    I think he is harsh because she is drunk and uncooperative and I feel she should not be going to look for him. He seems very aggressive and rude.
    Kama hangechoka, since that’s her main complain, si angeenjoy the fuck?
    All the best to her anyway, since we weren’t there tunahypothsise tu.

• Terry Reply

August 6, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not find anything funny about the tape. Shame on Mollis(Maurice).

• ygcbhb Reply

August 6, 2015 at 10:10 pm

The lady should come out to clear this,,but that was way too ungentlemanship on the part of mollis

• Huey Reply

August 7, 2015 at 12:15 am

it aint rape coz she is askin the dude to come again tomorrow

• philandra Reply

August 7, 2015 at 10:47 am

It was her way of making him stop, not because she wanted him to come over again but it was getting out of hand. In case you haven’t heard she says “Na ujuwe unani rape sasa” afterwards. Before he dismisses and says “wacha ujinga” but I have a feeling you will still dispute this because you are to narrow to analyze the clip in depth so I am just wasting my time explaining facts to you.

• dude11 Reply

August 7, 2015 at 1:05 am

guys listen vizuri. she says “Im not the only one who is high”

• sossyskarmpy Reply

August 7, 2015 at 3:48 am

ok…i heard maurice say “si ni we mwenyewe ulitaka nkuf**k” something of the sort….so sometime our ladies just mess wakiona….

• ekimani14 Reply

August 7, 2015 at 10:50 am

Reblogged this on Gender inequalities…who is responsible? and commented:
    When consensual sex turns to sexual assault, we need to be brave and call it for what it is.

• ekimani14 Reply

August 7, 2015 at 10:51 am

I reblogged this, it is purely sexual abuse, your analysis is on point.

• The Hottest Stories on the Internet Today (Friday August 7) | Kenya Celebrity Pix Reply

August 7, 2015 at 12:31 pm

[…] Rough sex VS sexual abuse – my two cents on the #Mollis audio tape Kenyans demand justice after fatal car crash allegedly ‘covered-up’ by police […]

• Daniel Tom Reply

August 7, 2015 at 1:04 pm

when a girl says she’s had enough of it that means you as a man should stop there and then! She clearly wasn’t enjoying any bit of it, it might gave been consentual prima facie but when it gets to that point the term ‘rape’ crops up.

• Makena Joy Reply

August 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm

It ain’t pleasing and it sure as hell ain’t funny. Maurice is not a hero, am not a sex expert but those are not the sounds/words of a lady enjoying sex for those saying so.
    It is sad really that people will find it amusing that someone is being sexually violated. You don’t have to scream blue murder and cry your voice hoarse so it can be passed as rape

If I said no to your sexual advances and you still proceed, then what will we call that?
    Whoever recorded it, had no right whatsoever to share it to the internet and more so if our law people did their job in an upright manner, such people would be apprehended.
    To the ladies, don’t just sit there while your rights are being violated. And do pardon my french but screw the society and fight for your life and a brighter future.
    I rest my case.

• mwikali wambua Reply

August 16, 2015 at 10:55 am

A society can be defined by what it finds amusing. And that we find sadomasochism and outright sexual abuse funny and amusing is in itself quite telling.

• The Growing Trend of Cyber Violence In Kenya - AfroMumAfroMum Reply