OMINDE’S LIST: Kisumu’s top 10 socialites
Now that we have finally earned our City Status it’s time that we also unveiled our own party stoppers and here I am not talking about socialites of Vera Sidika’s nature but rather socialites as defined by wikipedia: “A socialite is someone who is well-known in fashionable society and spends a significant amount of time participating in social activities such as parties and other fashionable events, entertaining guests and being entertained by others of similar standing.”
These are the guys and girls who make Kisumu’s events rock and your party is not a party unless one or all of them attended it!
1. Fofona Bangale quite dint make it to a list that was being voted on when Henry McKenzie posed the same question on facebook but this is one dude that attends all the flashy events in town. He has quite an acute sense of style (and I say that with all the straightness I got) that makes him stand out from the crowd. Actually one Christine Riaroh added “fashion style” to what what qualifies one to be a socialite.
If you are planning a party make sure Fofona has a VIP invite. Fona is a radio presenter with Radio Lake Victoria among many other professional ventures.
2. Dave Ngiri Odira is possibly the loudest muther ginene you will ever meet in your lifetime. If you want to know how influential he is, he single handedly made Dunga Hill Camp the place to hang out over the weekends and for that he is on their wall of fame.
|Dave Ngiri Odira|
There is no event that goes down without him being in it in this town.
Christine Riaroh however thinks his fashion sense is wanting. I think it’s all about his company…what would you expect from a dude who spends his entire day around fishermen? You don’t need rocket science to tell you that he’ll definitely dress like one. Coming to think of it though Christine said I also have a bad sense of style….but Ngiri takes the standing ovation in that sector. Fashion Cop gave an arrest warrant for him a long time ago.
He loves his Pilsner Ice and everything else that can fuel an engine…
By day Ngiri iworks for Lolwe TV. With his loud mouth I wonder why the guys dint give him a show to host. One of my former bosses (some random idiot now) thinks he should run for an elective post in 2017. In fact we started a movement at work known as #DN2017.
Fashion or no fashion ignore his influence at your own peril.
3. Millicent Aberi did not make it to McKenzie’s list as well and I am convinced people don’t know people in this town. Your party won’t rock unless she represents the females in it.
She acts cool, calm and collected but don’t be fooled by her shy smile. She has a great sense of fashion and style. She is well endowed in those other sectors as well…let me just say she will bring light even to the dullest party. Loves her Vodka and her Pilsner.
Millicent owns a restaurant at Wayside that’s known for it’s delicious chicken.
4. Sharon Oyoo aka Jaber Nyar Rongo, she comes highly recommended in that list I keep
|Jaber Nyar Rongo (Centre) with Grace Makosewe & @IamOminde|
referring to and I must give it to her that she is another event charmer with a killer smile, a beautiful behind and great dance moves.
She loves her Heineken.
By day she is a Marketing and Communications executive with a local NGO.
5. Kenna Kens closes the big five on this list today. He is an “event organizer”
just that most of his events…..
Christine thinks he got a great sense of style, but then again what would you expect from someone who owns a boutique?
He has to be at your event if you are to claim you had a successful event though.
He loves his Tusker and overpriced liqueur.
6. Henry McKenzie would probably kill me for putting his name here but WTF!! Nigga is laid back and all gentleman but he rocks events as well.
He hosts Karaoke at three different towns in the region every week and recently introduced “Throwback Fridays” at Bootleggers.
He loves his Whitecap Lager…not sure if he drinks whiskey!
By day he works for USAID.
7. Ahmed Zach well I got very little to say about this dude coz nigga went underground like crazy. Just know that he is on this list.
8. Jenipher Igena she is a Communications student at Maseno University and a budding musician. You won’t help but notice her at events and God she is “BLESSED!”
Amazing sense of style I must say…what I call eye candy!!
Follow me on twitter @IamOminde